Looking at the different style of pop videos and the 3 main forms that they come in, Performance, Narrative and Image. Performance is a performanced based video normally on a stage or something of a similar sort. Narrative is where the video tells a story either the one relating to the song or a separate narrative is told. Image is when the video focuses mainly on the artist or artists.
We looked at music videos such as Stan - Eminem, Praise you - Fatboy slim and Rich girl - Gewn stefani.
Stan - Eminem
- Real life story
- Narrative - the lyrics tell a story
- Star plays himself
- lyrics 'Thank you' give it a softer look yet contrast what is going on
- Stan waves a TV screen convinced eminem is waving at him - looney
- We hear what he is thinking/writing
- Posters of eminem everywhere - obsessive
- Stan has neglected girlfriend for fantasy life with star
- Lightning and Sweaty obsessive look creates intense dark atmosphere
- Performance shots
- Agression comes out of obsession - anger is taken out on girlfriend
- Violence/murder - typically found in rap videos
- Little brother carries on his obsession
- Shown on live news - realistic in real life
Praise you - Fatboy Slim
- A Parody
- Home video Camera
- Obviously not professional dancers
- Goes against the average music video
- Heads walking past block view, along with cars and a crowd (like a pirate copy of a cinema film may)
- From a bypassers view or a person in a crowd watching
- Outside of a cinema (a place you would expect a crowd of people to be)
- Using a plain stereo for music
- Dancing tries to be stopped by what looks like security (what would normally happen in this sort of situation if it happened in real life)
- Dance moves are purposely amateur.
Rich Girl - Gwen Stefani
- Star in video
- Dramatic costumes
- Historical content
- Main narrative tells story from certain era
- Slave - pretending to dream about being rich
- Fast paced
- Edited to match story (like a childs imagination)
- Children laughing - non diagetic
- Mainly all female - Post moderism, females are dominant.
- Showing little flesh being 'sexy'